Find answers to your questions.

Frequently Asked Questions About SSI for Children with Disabilities in Honea Path, SC

If you are caring for a child with disabilities and you live in a low-income household, you may be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments from the government. These payments can help you provide quality housing, education, healthcare and nutrition for your child. Whether you have already applied for SSI or you’re still in the process of doing so, you may have questions about who can get SSI, what the payments can be used for and what to do if your application is denied. Here at the law offices of J. Robert Surface, we’ve heard many of these questions from our clients here in South Carolina, which is why we’ve compiled answers to frequently asked questions about SSI for children below. Take a look to learn more, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.


Can a child get SSI for…

  • ADHD?
    Having ADHD is not an automatic qualification for SSI, but your child may qualify if their ADHD causes severe limitations or is heightened by other conditions.
  • Autism?
    Autistic children may qualify for SSI if their autism impacts their social, behavioral and cognitive abilities to a significant degree. This includes children with or without accompanying language and/or intellectual impairments.
  • Epilepsy?
    Yes, if the epilepsy causes “disorganization of motor function, bulbar and neuromuscular dysfunction, or communication impairment,” as per the SSA. This applies to children who face limitations due to this condition despite following a treatment/medication plan.
  • Dyslexia?
    If your child’s dyslexia is accompanied by other qualifying neurodevelopmental disorders, they may qualify for SSI.

Please note that your child’s eligibility for SSI as a result of one of the conditions listed above is heavily dependent on your child’s specific symptoms and behaviors and the medical evidence of their disability. We recommend speaking with your child’s doctor and referring to the SSA’s blue book for more detailed information.

Can a child get SSI and SSDI?

If a child’s parent receives Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) payments based on their work records, and the family meets the income-based SSI eligibility requirements, the child may receive family benefits on their parent’s record in addition to SSI. SSDI payments count as unearned income and will lower the family’s total SSI payment amount. Once a child turns 18, their disability will be reexamined to determine if they are eligible for benefits under the adult definition of disability. If they’re eligible and their parent is still receiving SSDI (or their qualifying parent has died), the Disabled Adult Child (DAC) can continue receiving SSDI payments on their parent’s record (since they began receiving these payments on their parent’s record as a minor). There are different SSI requirements for adults as opposed to children, and similarly to the SSDI reexamination, an individual’s eligibility for adult SSI benefits will be determined when they turn 18.

What can I pay for with my child’s SSI check?

SSI can be used to cover disability-related expenses for your child and help them achieve improved quality of life. These can include specialized equipment, modifications to your home to provide greater accessibility, adaptive clothes, toys, eating utensils, nutritional supplements and more. You can also pay for specialized care or education with SSI. If you’re struggling to work full-time while also caring for your child, SSI payments can help you make up for lost income and afford rent, food and utility payments.

My child’s SSI application was denied. What do I do now?

Having your application denied by the Social Security Administration can be frustrating. Appealing the SSA’s decision can be a lengthy process, and it’s important to provide all the documentation and evidence necessary to prove your child’s disability in a timely manner to ensure the best possible outcome. You don’t have to take on the SSA alone — an experienced disability lawyer can help. Contact us today and one of our team members will discuss your situation with you.

If you have questions, we are available 24/7 at (864) 235-0886. The office of J. Robert Surface, Attorney at Law is located at 513 E Greer St, Honea Path, SC 29654. He proudly serves clients from Greenville, Clemson, Spartanburg and Columbia, SC, and areas of Georgia and North Carolina.

Contact Us

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.
Contact Information

Tell Us
About Your Case

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.
Contact Information